Swimming is secret of long life for Romford 101-year-old
A Romford woman celebrated her 101st birthday last week.
Winifred Manger, who lives at Derham House, Harwood Hall Lane, Upminster, celebrated the milestone with close family and friends, staff and the Mayor of Havering Cllr Melvin Wallace.
Her family think that the secret of her long life is keeping active – before moving to the home last year she was a keen gardener, would cycle and she swam a mile a week until she was in her 90s.
Her son Ron, 78, said: “She used to leave her house in Romford and go swimming at Ilford Swimming Baths, well into her 90s.
“When she was about 85, they said she’d been there so often that they gave her a free ticket and she didn’t have to pay.”
You may also want to watch:
Winifred, whose maiden name was Kelland, moved to Romford from Slough, Berkshire, when she was 20, so she could be near her husband George, who passed away shortly after their golden wedding anniversary.
The couple had two children – Ron and Gillian – and Winifred now has six grandchildren and 15 great-grandchildren.
- 1 'He was petrified': Rainham mother calls for more action on bullying
- 2 'Lovely service': Initial impressions of Kem Cetinay's restaurant Array
- 3 'For my kids': Mother vows to keep fighting over council flat mould
- 4 Harold Wood walkers ‘frustrated’ as ‘beyond repair’ bridge is closed
- 5 Covid stats show cases rising across east London boroughs
- 6 'Darkest days of my life': Six-year-old diagnosed with rare condition suffers OCD, anxiety and depressive symptoms
- 7 Pooches delight as new dog-friendly playground opens at Collier Row pub
- 8 Housing in Havering: Major developments set to come to the borough
- 9 A look back at floods which have devastated east London since 2016
- 10 Two men stabbed after fight reported outside Romford nightclub
Ron added: “A great time was had by all, and Derham House have been marvellous.”