Swimming is secret of long life for Romford 101-year-old
A Romford woman celebrated her 101st birthday last week.
Winifred Manger, who lives at Derham House, Harwood Hall Lane, Upminster, celebrated the milestone with close family and friends, staff and the Mayor of Havering Cllr Melvin Wallace.
Her family think that the secret of her long life is keeping active – before moving to the home last year she was a keen gardener, would cycle and she swam a mile a week until she was in her 90s.
Her son Ron, 78, said: “She used to leave her house in Romford and go swimming at Ilford Swimming Baths, well into her 90s.
“When she was about 85, they said she’d been there so often that they gave her a free ticket and she didn’t have to pay.”
You may also want to watch:
Winifred, whose maiden name was Kelland, moved to Romford from Slough, Berkshire, when she was 20, so she could be near her husband George, who passed away shortly after their golden wedding anniversary.
The couple had two children – Ron and Gillian – and Winifred now has six grandchildren and 15 great-grandchildren.
- 1 Two in hospital after crash in Upminster involving 'stolen' van
- 2 'Important' ATMs removed from Romford shopping mall
- 3 Eight arrested on suspicion of murder following death of two teens
- 4 Woman dies after car crash near Upminster
- 5 Romford’s M&S staff go viral with Thriller dance TikTok video
- 6 Brentwood attack: CCTV appeal after man repeatedly kicked in head
- 7 Government 'never gave support' for Beam Park station, minister says
- 8 Disruptions to watch out for in and around Havering next week
- 9 How Romford are you? Test yourself with our quiz
- 10 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
Ron added: “A great time was had by all, and Derham House have been marvellous.”