Students create plaque to mark Sanders Draper School’s 70th anniversary
- Credit: Archant
Students have created a plaque and key rings to mark their school’s 70th anniversary this year.
The group from Sanders Draper School went down to Teparay Precision Sheet Metal Ltd, in Hainault last week to watch the keyrings they had created being made.
The anniversary commemorates when Raimund Sanders Draper saved more than 600 people by sacrificing his own at the former Suttons Senior School.
Since the 1980s they’ve assembled every March to mark the sacrifice of the hero who saved the lives of their entire school
The 29-year-old pilot’s Spitfire became faulty and he attempted to avoid the school, ditching in the playground.
You may also want to watch:
In 1973 the school was renamed in honour of the pilot.
- 1 West Ham free to build new training facility as council approves plans
- 2 Romford celebrity scandals: Stars who hit headlines for the wrong reasons
- 3 Development coming to Havering: What plans were submitted, approved or rejected in recent months?
- 4 Havering's MPs mourn fatal stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 5 Man charged with attempted bank robbery in Romford to appear in court
- 6 Mum fears gaping ceiling left by workers will 'collapse' on children
- 7 Women targeted in string of mobile phone thefts at Romford nightclub
- 8 Entry and exit wording on ground by Elm Park car park to be investigated
- 9 Beam Park station 'can't go ahead without government support', council says
- 10 Romford's Jesy Nelson denies 'blackfishing' accusations