Stray NYE firework causes blaze at Romford fencing company

PUBLISHED: 09:44 04 January 2016 | UPDATED: 09:44 04 January 2016

Fast-acting crews helped limit the blaze at the timber yard. Picture: @LondonFire

Fast-acting crews helped limit the blaze at the timber yard. Picture: @LondonFire


A stray New Year’s Eve firework caused a blaze at a fencing company and destroyed a trailer full of timber.

Firefighters were called to the site in George Street, Romford, at about 12.55am on New Year’s Day.

Investigators believe a firework landed on the roof of the trailer and burned through to the dry timber. The blaze also destroyed a stack of fence panels and two garden sheds.

Watch Manager Alan James from Hornchurch fire station who was at the scene said crews worked hard to stop the fire spreading further.

He said: “Crews gained access to the site quickly and worked hard to get the fire under control. Thankfully we were able to save the workshop and a delivery van belonging to the business.

“This incident also shows just how dangerous fireworks can be and why we always advise that you go to an organised display. New Year celebrations may have ended now but if you are tempted to use any fireworks you might have left over, make sure you follow the firework safety code to minimise the risk of having a fire or being injured.”

The fire was brought under control in an hour. Four engines and 21 firefighters and officers from Hornchurch, Harold Hill, Dagenham and Ilford attended the incident.

The firework safety code states:

• Only buy fireworks marked with the British Standard Kitemark BS7114

• Don’t drink alcohol if setting off fireworks

• Keep fireworks in a closed box and always follow the instructions carefully when using them

• Light them at arms length using a taper and stand well back

• Never go back to them once they are lit. Even if a firework hasn’t gone off, it could still explode

• Never throw fireworks and never put them in your pocket

• Respect your neighbours – don’t let off fireworks late at night and remember there are laws to follow

• Take care with sparklers – never give them to children under five. Even when they have gone out they are still hot so put sparklers in a bucket of water after use

• Keep your pets indoors throughout the evening

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Romford Recorder