Standing room only at funeral for former Romford Recorder editor Roy Mills
- Credit: Archant
It was standing room only at the funeral today for former Romford Recorder editor Roy Mills.
The congregation entered the chapel at Southend Crematorium to the song Make Me a Channel of Your Peace and left to Monty Python’s Always Look on the Bright Side of Life.
Roy, who died earlier this month aged 80, was editor for 31 years after moving to the paper via Fleet Street and Coal News.
His son Jonathan paid tribute to his dad in a homily at the service to celebrate his life, which was attended by former colleagues, friends and family.
Jonathan spoke of his dad having three passions in his life – his family, The Recorder and sport and described an incident where he met two former colleagues of Roy in London.
You may also want to watch:
He revealed one spoke highly of the meticulous, passionate journalist, describing him as a legend while the other didn’t have a good word to say. Jonathan said whenever his dad quoted the former’s compliment he reminded him of the latter.
Jonathan told the gathered congregation: “Dad I was wrong – you are a legend.”
- 1 Firefighters fight car alight in Romford
- 2 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 3 From 100 steps to 10,000: Romford woman tackles serious health issues by losing third of body weight
- 4 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 5 BID installs wall of evergreen plants to ‘welcome people’ to Romford
- 6 Love Island star Kem Cetinay says Romford's Array to open 'in three weeks'
- 7 Romford neighbours' outrage over ‘bonkers’ £20,000 council bill
- 8 London Stadium to host mass Covid-19 jabs event for north east Londoners
- 9 'We had no idea how big he was': 11lb 4oz baby born at Romford hospital
- 10 'Stay strong': West Ham footballers send messages to fan with cancer
Roy’s granddaughter Ellie then read a poem for her grandad.
Donations in memory of Roy for Southend Hospital NHS Trust should be sent to S Stibbards and Sons Ltd., 7 Spa Road, Hockley, Essex. SS5 4AZ.