Sporting glory for Hornchurch student
A STUDENT from a Hornchurch school is in the national final of a sporting awards competition hosted by Olympic gold medalist Darren Campbell.
Matthew Taylor, who goes to Albany School, Broadstone Road, won the title of London regional winner of the Sky Sports Living for Sport Student of the Year in October.
The cyclist was nominated by his school for his sporting achievements after developing a BMX club and working with other students to design ramps, source funding for the project and advertise it.
Olympic gold medalist Darren Campbell said: “Matthew really deserves this award. His story was a brilliant example of the impact sport can play on young people and how it has helped Matthew realise that he has it in himself to achieve anything he sets his mind to.”
Lisa Wilson, PE teacher at Albany School said: “I’m so pleased for Matthew, it couldn’t happen to a more deserving student.”
You may also want to watch:
The final awards take place at Lords cricket ground in central London on Tuesday (January 18).
- 1 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood
- 2 Havering electoral wards face axe as borough is split into 20 areas
- 3 Town centre app launches to entice shoppers to Romford
- 4 'No one deserves that': Neighbours 'traumatised' by triple stabbing
- 5 Harold Wood fatal stabbing victim named as police arrest three more people
- 6 Serial child sex offender jailed after found with 14,000 indecent images
- 7 'It's appalling' - Frustration over persistent Collier Row water leak
- 8 One teenager dead in Harold Wood triple stabbing
- 9 Arrests made after multiple stabbing in Havering
- 10 Love is in the hair: Care home helps resident rekindle hairdressing passion