Smith ‘first on Romford teamsheet’
Martin hails fans player of year
Romford manager Paul Martin was pleased to see Kurt Smith rewarded for his efforts in 2011/12.
Striker Smith walked off with the supporters player of the year award, after scoring 20 goals from only 25 starts in an injury-hit campaign.
And Martin said: “In all fairness, we only had two really consistent players, Jack (Barry) and Kurt, who came back from a broken leg.
“I think it was a three-way fight for the votes with young David Ottley, but for me Kurt is the first name on my teamsheet because he puts the ball in the back of the net.”
You may also want to watch:
Smith was left with a broken fibula in the goalless draw with Brentwood in late November, but returned in the new year to enjoy a rich vein of scoring form as Boro passed their points total from the previous season and ended the season in 13th place.
Martin added: “He came back and scored in nearly every game.
- 1 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 2 'Important' ATMs removed from Romford shopping mall
- 3 Brentwood deaths: Teen charged with double murder to appear in court
- 4 Upminster chef named best in the country with award
- 5 East London police officer charged with rape
- 6 End 8am scramble to secure GP appointments, watchdog warns
- 7 ATMs to be reinstalled in shopping mall in 'more prominent location'
- 8 Brentwood Halloween event cancelled following tragic deaths
- 9 Post delays reported in Harold Hill as Royal Mail confirms staff shortages
- 10 Romford man gets community order for causing pensioner's crash death
“We first signed Kurt when he was 16, but he went off to play at a higher level.
“He sat on the bench a bit, though, and got frustrated so he came back to us.
“You can play less games at a higher level, but he has grown up.”
“We’ve got a good relationship and he plays football for me. You have to take things on the chin sometimes.”