Smith ‘first on Romford teamsheet’
Martin hails fans player of year
Romford manager Paul Martin was pleased to see Kurt Smith rewarded for his efforts in 2011/12.
Striker Smith walked off with the supporters player of the year award, after scoring 20 goals from only 25 starts in an injury-hit campaign.
And Martin said: “In all fairness, we only had two really consistent players, Jack (Barry) and Kurt, who came back from a broken leg.
“I think it was a three-way fight for the votes with young David Ottley, but for me Kurt is the first name on my teamsheet because he puts the ball in the back of the net.”
You may also want to watch:
Smith was left with a broken fibula in the goalless draw with Brentwood in late November, but returned in the new year to enjoy a rich vein of scoring form as Boro passed their points total from the previous season and ended the season in 13th place.
Martin added: “He came back and scored in nearly every game.
- 1 How did your Havering GP surgery score in NHS patient survey?
- 2 Four-car crash in Havering-atte-Bower reignites calls for 20mph speed limit
- 3 Free swimming for schoolchildren in Havering launched ahead of Olympics
- 4 Secondary schools in Havering rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 5 Romford drama students to feature alongside celebrities in new WW2 film
- 6 10-storey block expansion of 700-home development in Rainham gets go-ahead
- 7 Dagenham seal comfortable win over Hornchurch in pre-season
- 8 New Home Bargains store to open in Romford
- 9 Havering residents warned of weed which can cause ‘severe blistering’
- 10 Primary schools in Havering rated outstanding by Ofsted
“We first signed Kurt when he was 16, but he went off to play at a higher level.
“He sat on the bench a bit, though, and got frustrated so he came back to us.
“You can play less games at a higher level, but he has grown up.”
“We’ve got a good relationship and he plays football for me. You have to take things on the chin sometimes.”