Six rescue dogs killed in Rainham blaze

PUBLISHED: 09:52 16 March 2018 | UPDATED: 09:52 16 March 2018

Fire services were called to a blaze in Allen Road, Rainham. Photo: Ken Mears

Fire services were called to a blaze in Allen Road, Rainham. Photo: Ken Mears


Six rescue dogs were killed in a fire at a homemade kennels in Rainham.

Firefighters were called to the incident in Allen Road on Tuesday (March 13) afternoon at around 3.45pm.

Services were at the scene within four minutes, and the timber framed kennel was already fully alight.

A Wennington Fire Station spokesman said that six dogs that were homed in the kennels perished in the blaze.

He said that the cause of the blaze has not yet been confirmed but that it could have been for two reasons.

It could have been that one of the electric heat lamps used in the kennels fell off the wall and set fire to the sawdust and wood, or that one of the bulbs from the lamps shattered and the hot glass from the bulb then sparked the fire.

Two fire engines and one emergency unit was called to the scene and two high power hose reels were used to extinguish the blaze.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Romford Recorder