Shock after fate of Romford and Hornchurch estates unveiled in paper
- Credit: Archant
Frustrated residents living on old estates earmarked for redevelopment were upset after discovering through the Recorder their homes could be torn down.
Following the paper’s report revealing regeneration plans across Romford, residents have expressed their disappointment they were not told about the indicative plans.
Earlier this month, the Recorder reported 12 estates could be knocked down and rebuilt to accommodate more affordable homes where possible.
Jane Davis is a member of PETRA tenants organisation association which helps to run the Serena, Solar and Sunrise Lodge Court council blocks, in Sunrise Avenue, Hornchurch. They are listed for regeneration.
Mrs Davis said the council had been “insensitive” in not communicating the news to its residents.
You may also want to watch:
“There are so many very upset tenants on the estate. They are all quite elderly and are worried sick about what is going to happen.
“No one had the courtesy to tell them what could happen,” she said.
- 1 Heritage: How bicycles, manufacturing and gas lights created Roneo Corner
- 2 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 3 Stall holders 'chuffed' as Romford Market reopens
- 4 Council cannot 'justify' stronger bollards after fifth crash in 18 months
- 5 Men sent to prison over death of schoolboy Harvey Tyrrell
- 6 Application for ramp to help man with cerebral palsy is rejected
- 7 Mayoral election 2021: 'Free London' candidate Laurence Fox visits Romford
- 8 Best friends open beauty academy in Romford Shopping Hall
- 9 Havering South is one of the best vaccination teams in the country
- 10 Top Havering pubs open with beer gardens
“They have been waiting for three years to hear about the future of the estate and reading it in the Recorder was not the best way to hear about it.”
Shortly after the Recorder article, the council notified residents of a consultation day on Monday at the community lounge in Park View, Sunrise Avenue.
In Romford, residents were shocked to read about plans to knock down their estate as part of the new housing zone.
Ruth Crabb, who has lived on the Waterloo Estate for 18 years, said she was concerned residents had no idea about the proposed plans to potentially demolish the estate and build an additional 220 homes.
“The fact that they haven’t even bothered to write to us as tenants and explain what they have planned....we are quite shocked,” she said.
Deputy leader of the council Cllr Damian White said: “It would not have been possible to begin any consultation before the decision of the Cabinet meeting was known.
“The consultation process is now underway, including public meetings, the first of which was held at Napier and New Plymouth Houses.”
A consultation drop-in session will be held for residents of the Waterloo Estate on July 20 between 3pm and 7pm at the Salvation Army, High Street, Romford.