Second tragedy on road

A SECOND motorcyclist has died following a crash on the same stretch of road which took someone’s life exactly a week earlier.

Biker Christopher Tayler, of Heaton Close, Harold Hill, died on Sunday, September 12, after his white Honda motorbike collided with a black Ford Focus on Main Road, Rettendon Common.

James Lawton, 52, of Mountney Close, Ingatestone, was the victim of a fatal motorbike crash on the same road the previous Sunday, about 700 yards away from the scene of the smash that claimed the life of Mr Tayler.

Mr Tayler, 53, was travelling towards the Turnpike when the tragedy happened near the Wheatsheaf Pub around 3.35pm.

Essex Police officers and crash investigators closed the road while initial enquiries were carried out.

The driver of the Focus, a man, 22, from Wickford, was arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.

He has been released on police bail to return to Chelmsford Police Station on November 15 while the investigation continues.

Most Read

Police are appealing for witnesses and anyone who was in the area at the time to contact the serious collision investigation unit at Boreham on 0300 333 4444.

One witness who has been helping police with enquiries was the driver of a horse-drawn vehicle who spoke to other witnesses at the scene before police arrived.

An officer from Essex Police’s Collision Reduction Unit was interviewed on Thursday by BBC Radio Essex about motorcycle safety.

Mr Tayler’s family did not wish to speak to the Recorder at this time.

Anyone with information about the crash involving Mr Lawton is also encouraged to contact police on the same number.

A woman, 19, from Southend, who drove a silver Chevrolet Matiz which collided with his motorbike, was questioned but no arrests have been made.

Mr Lawton, who died a week earlier, was a keen motorcyclist who was out with friends when had his tragic accident.

He was at the head of a group of bikers riding along Main Road at 7.30am on September 5.

Paramedics tried to revive him at the roadside but could not save him. The road was sealed off for six hours for investigations.