School sweethearts from Hornchurch celebrate diamond wedding anniversary
- Credit: Archant
A couple who were school sweethearts have celebrated more than 60 years together.
Janet and Charlie Oates, of Shelley Avenue, Hornchurch, marked their diamond wedding anniversary last Thursday with a dinner with their close family.
Janet, now 79, met Charlie, 81, when they were 15 and 17 respectively at school in Plaistow. After nine months together they got engaged before Charlie joined the Army.
Janet said: “He thought he was going abroad, but he was based in Cornwall. We got married four years later after he completed two years in the Army.”
The couple married at St Andrew’s Church in Plaistow on March 28, 1953 and lived in Plaistow before moving to Havering.
You may also want to watch:
Janet worked as a dress maker until she had their first child, Janice. When she returned to work she worked as a canteen assistant at McCarthy’s, Keddies in Romford Market, and Roomes in Upminster.
Charlie worked as a telephone operator and was a supervisor for Romford Telephone Exchange.
- 1 Plane crash in Upminster sees man taken to hospital as a priority
- 2 Road and rail: Disruptions to watch out for in Havering next week
- 3 Man 'wraps metal chain around woman's neck' in Hornchurch park attack
- 4 West Ham free to build new training facility as council approves plans
- 5 Romford celebrity scandals: Stars who hit headlines for the wrong reasons
- 6 ‘It is our moral obligation’: Upminster school launches mental health team
- 7 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 8 Kem Cetinay’s Array restaurant to host Halloween 'ball'
- 9 Man charged with attempted bank robbery in Romford to appear in court
- 10 Development coming to Havering: What plans were submitted, approved or rejected in recent months?
They have three children, four grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.
Janet said the secret to their long and happy marriage was understanding and communication.
She said: “It’s about pulling together and just being good friends, agreeing and always talking things through. If you are making any decisions, talk them through first. And it’s important to not only understand each other, but listen to each other too.”
They celebrated their anniversary at the Shepherd and Dog with their close family.