Saunders and Maher almost ready for Daggers return
Midfield duo step up their return to full fitness with in-house friendly on Wednesday.
Dagenham & Redbridge midfielders Matthew Saunders and Kevin Maher are nearing full fitness according to boss John Still.
Saunders made a return to the first team squad on Tuesday night as an unused substitute in their 1-1 draw at Port Vale.
The 23-year-old has been ruled out for the past seven months after picking up an ankle injury celebrating his maiden goal for the club in the 1-0 win over Bradford City in March.
Ilford-based Maher has been out since the turn of the year with a foot injury that has required two operations.
You may also want to watch:
And the duo both featured in an in-house friendly on Wednesday as they step up their recovery, with Saunders likely to start at Southend United in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy second round tie on Tuesday.
But that is still too soon for Maher who will miss out on a trip to one of his former teams.
- 1 'For my kids': Mother vows to keep fighting over council flat mould
- 2 Harold Wood walkers ‘frustrated’ as ‘beyond repair’ bridge is closed
- 3 Pooches delight as new dog-friendly playground opens at Collier Row pub
- 4 Covid stats show cases rising across east London boroughs
- 5 Housing in Havering: Major developments set to come to the borough
- 6 Two men stabbed after fight reported outside Romford nightclub
- 7 Reward offered to help find iconic Noak Hill Laurel and Hardy statues
- 8 'Darkest days of my life': Six-year-old diagnosed with rare condition suffers OCD, anxiety and depressive symptoms
- 9 'He was petrified': Rainham mother calls for more action on bullying
- 10 'Lovely service': Initial impressions of Kem Cetinay's restaurant Array
“It is nice to have Matthew back around the first team and both he and Kevin Maher will feature in an in-house friendly this afternoon,” said Still on Wednesday.
“It will give some of the lads who have not been playing regularly a bit of a touch though Tuesday night will be too soon for Kevin. Matthew should be in the squad for Tuesday.”