Sat-nav trials in Romford supermarket
Ever had problems finding your baked beans in the supermarket?
Fear not, Tesco Extra, in Byrant Avenue, Gallows Corner, is trialling a new sat-nav system, which will allow techno-savvy shoppers to find items using their Android samrtphones.
“The new service is able to show you where all your wanted products are on a store map, show you where you are on that map, and guide you round the store to pick up your products using the shortest route,” claimed Tesco’s head of research and development Nick Lansley
Customers can compile shopping lists - which can be transferred between suitable phones - and see a 3D image of the building as soon as go through the doors, with each of their chosen items highlighted.
As well as a sci-fi map, the app will automatically figure out the shortest route to your items.
You may also want to watch:
The map will also pinpoint where you are in the store.
“We won’t be rolling this out to customers in general for a while,” Nick admitted, “because we have to think about how useful it’s going to be.
- 1 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 2 Man injured after assault reported at Gallows Corner supermarket
- 3 'Poor living standard': Plans for Harold Hill HMO blocked amid multiple concerns
- 4 Traffic building at petrol hotspots amid ongoing clamour for fuel
- 5 Boy, 15, was in 'life-threatening' condition after Upminster stabbing
- 6 Woman, 52, dies in Collier Row in 'unexplained' circumstances
- 7 Collier Row Roundabout set for resurfacing works
- 8 Teen hospitalised after being stabbed in Upminster
- 9 Award-winning Kushi restaurant sets up initiative to help fundraisers
- 10 West Ham's Jack Sullivan signs on as Saint Francis Hospice ambassador
“The system involves a lot of infrastructure installation in the stores so we need to get all kinds of people involved in thinking about the customer experience. It would be awful if we did all this work but few customers really used it.”
If you are interested in giving the app a go e-mail project manager Ben Martin firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject ‘SATNAV APP.’
To try it, you must have an Android device featuring version 2.2 or above, and the ability to install software from unsigned Android Package (APK) files.