Sat-nav trials in Romford supermarket
Ever had problems finding your baked beans in the supermarket?
Fear not, Tesco Extra, in Byrant Avenue, Gallows Corner, is trialling a new sat-nav system, which will allow techno-savvy shoppers to find items using their Android samrtphones.
“The new service is able to show you where all your wanted products are on a store map, show you where you are on that map, and guide you round the store to pick up your products using the shortest route,” claimed Tesco’s head of research and development Nick Lansley
Customers can compile shopping lists - which can be transferred between suitable phones - and see a 3D image of the building as soon as go through the doors, with each of their chosen items highlighted.
As well as a sci-fi map, the app will automatically figure out the shortest route to your items.
You may also want to watch:
The map will also pinpoint where you are in the store.
“We won’t be rolling this out to customers in general for a while,” Nick admitted, “because we have to think about how useful it’s going to be.
- 1 Deadline looming to comment on Market Place development plans
- 2 Romford man gains 100,000 signatures to scrap £200m Prince Philip yacht
- 3 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood
- 4 Havering electoral wards face axe as borough is split into 20 areas
- 5 Why Romford MP is allowed to keep names of donors secret
- 6 Town centre app launches to entice shoppers to Romford
- 7 Romford Tesco Extra plants trees to offset car emissions
- 8 'No one deserves that': Neighbours 'traumatised' by triple stabbing
- 9 'I've never felt so excited' - Theatre company saved from collapse
- 10 Harold Wood fatal stabbing victim named as police arrest three more people
“The system involves a lot of infrastructure installation in the stores so we need to get all kinds of people involved in thinking about the customer experience. It would be awful if we did all this work but few customers really used it.”
If you are interested in giving the app a go e-mail project manager Ben Martin email@example.com with the subject ‘SATNAV APP.’
To try it, you must have an Android device featuring version 2.2 or above, and the ability to install software from unsigned Android Package (APK) files.