Running group’s support motivates Katie to run marathon
- Credit: Archant
Vanessa Papworth from the Chafford Hundred Running Group speaks to member Katie Boosey
What made you join the group?
I could run very short distances but didn’t enjoy it so wanted help to get me running longer distances and thought that by joining the group I would actually start to like running. I joined in the summer of 2012.
What do you like about the group and what benefits does it bring?
Help, support, encouragement and motivation! Plus I have made some really good friends along the way.
You may also want to watch:
What are your short term running goals?
I am training for my first marathon, The London Marathon on April 26 and fundraising for SENSE.
- 1 Watch police fine seven in Romford for watching TV together
- 2 Letters: Breaking bad news, boundary changes, lockdown and parking
- 3 British Gas engineers burn contracts at Havering Town Hall in defiance of 'sign or be fired'
- 4 Mick Norcross, The Only Way Is Essex star, has died aged 57
- 5 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 6 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
- 7 From the town hall: The fight against Covid-19 continues in Havering
- 8 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
- 9 Heritage: How greyhound enthusiast's 1960s betting coup failed
- 10 'A tax on relationships': Politicians criticise boundary charge proposal
How would you describe the group?
Quite large with lots of mixed abilities so there is always someone to run with!
What have you achieved from the running?
I’m fitter and healthier than when I was a teenager!
What tips have you got to pass on to new runners? Just stick at it! It does get easier and more enjoyable!
What would you not be without when out on a run?
My Nike+ app! I love it when I’ve finished a long run to check out my stats and see if I’ve hit any new personal achievements (quicker mile pace or faster 5k.)
What do your family and friends think about your running achievements?
They think it’s fantastic, my sister joined the group in 2013 and will be running the London marathon with me!
To sponsor Katie visit her Just Giving page: justgiving.com/Katie-Boosey/
For more information on the group visit chrg.co.uk.