Romford town centre death riddle

A MAN has died after being found with a head wound in Romford Town Centre, but how he received the injuries remains a mystery.

Glen Burkett, 27, from Elm Park, died in the early hours of Saturday morning at Queen’s Hospital following his collapse in South Street on Thursday night, September 23.

The London Ambulance Service (LAS) was called at around 11.20pm by a member of the public who reported a man injured in the street between the junction with Victoria Road and Thurloe Gardens.

Ambulance crews attended the scene and found the Mr Burkett collapsed on the pavement with a head injury, which was bleeding.

Mr Burkett underwent emergency surgery for swelling on the brain and was placed on life support in intensive care, but sadly didn’t recover.

Mr Burkett’s family, who joined him at his bedside, said: “We will remember him as a much loved brother and son who will be missed by all his family.”

It was around 5am Friday morning, September 24, that LAS contacted police to carry out a forensic analysis of the area when it became apparent the cause of Mr Burkett’s injuries were unknown.

Most Read

A Havering Police spokesman said: “As a precautionary measure – in case a crime has been committed – we have to look at the forensic evidence now, before it may be disturbed.”

A cordon was put in place around 5.30am Friday and extended, causing the road to be closed, around 9am.

Shoppers and workers arriving in town for the start of the day saw half a dozen police cars, a team of officers manning the scene and a forensic investigator in coveralls and a mask photographing the area and collecting evidence.

There was also a queue of 12 buses held up by the cordon for about an hour-and-a-half. Others were diverted.

Services disrupted included 5, 248, 294, 174, 365, N15, 175, 128 and 193.

A police dog was also brought on-scene to sniff out blood stains on the pavement and in the road.

Det Insp Dave Cavanagh said: “There is no indication at this time that he’s been attacked or involved in any road collision.”

There are currently no witnesses able to shed any light on what happened in the moments leading up to the man’s collapse or to indicate whether a crime was committed or not.

DI Cavanagh added: “We know he was at Queen’s Hospital at 5.30pm Thursday evening because he had a small injury to his hand.

“Our preliminary findings suggest he injured his head during that evening.”

Anyone who saw Mr Burkett the night he collapsed, likely in or around Romford Town Centre, is asked to call police on 0300 123 1212 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

A post mortem has suggested the death was not suspicious and caused by blood on the brain as a result of a head injury.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter