Romford shoppers urged to donate to summer food collection
- Credit: PA
Charities are urging Romford residents to donate food at large Tesco branches to help provide for families in crisis this summer.
Tesco's summer food collection will be held from today (July 15) to July 17 in aid of charitable food redistributors FareShare and food bank charity The Trussell Trust.
Upon arriving at the shops, customers will be encouraged to buy an item from a list that will be handed to them at the door.
It will detail the most-needed products by residential food banks and FareShare, and all donations can be dropped into trollies at the exit.
The supermarket will also be adding a 20 per cent top up to the value of every donation made.
You may also want to watch:
Chief executive of The Trussell Trust, Emma Revie, said: “No one should face the indignity of needing emergency food.
“Yet our UK-wide network of food banks gave out a record 2.5 million emergency food parcels in the last year – with more than 980,000 of these provided for children. This isn’t right.”
- 1 How did your Havering GP surgery score in NHS patient survey?
- 2 Four-car crash in Havering-atte-Bower reignites calls for 20mph speed limit
- 3 Free swimming for schoolchildren in Havering launched ahead of Olympics
- 4 Secondary schools in Havering rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 5 Romford drama students to feature alongside celebrities in new WW2 film
- 6 10-storey block expansion of 700-home development in Rainham gets go-ahead
- 7 Dagenham seal comfortable win over Hornchurch in pre-season
- 8 New Home Bargains store to open in Romford
- 9 Havering residents warned of weed which can cause ‘severe blistering’
- 10 Primary schools in Havering rated outstanding by Ofsted
She added that donating to the food collection will help Romford food banks provide the “best possible start” to families in crisis while working towards a future where everyone has enough for essentials.
Additionally, the smaller Tesco Express stores will be collecting donations from July 12 to August 28 in Romford.