Romford teacher dreams of launching education charity
A Bower Park School teacher is hoping to start her own charity to educate disadvantaged kids.
Romford teacher Lorraine Shorter recently launched her own tuition company Step Up Education, after seeing concerned parents struggling to pay for one-on-one classes.
The small classes for GCSE students run each Saturday at Bower Park School in Havering Road for a fraction of the price of a private tutor.
Now Lorraine hopes to set up a new charity, Open Up, for families who can’t afford any tuition at all.
Lorraine, who has been a teacher for ten years, said: “Instead of a tutor coming to them, they’d go to a two-hour lesson on a Saturday with a small group. The setting cuts the costs and makes it more fun for the students.
You may also want to watch:
“There’s just nothing like this in the borough whatsoever. It’s for parents who don’t have tons of money and just need a little bit of help.”
Lorraine hopes to get the charity up and running next year.
- 1 'Important' ATMs removed from Romford shopping mall
- 2 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 3 Upminster chef named best in the country with award
- 4 Brentwood deaths: Teen charged with double murder to appear in court
- 5 Two in hospital after crash in Upminster involving 'stolen' van
- 6 Men questioned and 200 hours of CCTV seized after boys killed in Brentwood
- 7 End 8am scramble to secure GP appointments, watchdog warns
- 8 Post delays reported in Harold Hill as Royal Mail confirms staff shortages
- 9 ATMs to be reinstalled in shopping mall in 'more prominent location'
- 10 Eight arrested on suspicion of murder following death of two teens
In the meantime, students from years seven to nine can sign up for Step Up Education courses in GCSE English, Maths, Science and Key Stage 3 literacy help.
The classes start at �30. Youngsters dressed as Victorian-era teachers were out in South Street, Romford, this week to help advertise the sessions.
For details visit: www.stepupeducation.co.uk