Romford swift to beat Heybridge

Hornchurch hopes hit by Hendon

Romford claimed the Ryman Division One North points at Heybridge Swifts on Saturday.

But Hornchurch saw their Premier Division title hopes hit by defeat at play-off chasing Hendon.

Boro needed only eight minutes to take the lead at Scraley Park, as Hussein Isa cut across from the right and sent a shot inside the far post.

The hosts hit the crossbar from long range before Romford boss Paul Martin was forced to replace Chris Sullivan with Ricki Mackin, due to a hamstring injury.

You may also want to watch:

Elliott Anderson made some telling saves in the second half to deny Heybridge an equaliser and the woodwork came to the visitors rescue again when Luke Callander’s overhead kick rebounded off the bar.

Hornchurch, meanwhile, conceded at the end of each half to fall to a 2-0 defeat against Hendon.

Most Read

Joe Woolley tipped a Karl McCluskey header over the bar as the first half drew to a close.

But the resulting corner was only half-cleared and a looping cross was converted by Elliott Charles to give Hendon the lead.

Urchins boss Jimmy McFarlane replaced Fola Orilonishe with Lewis Smith, who was returning from suspension, just before the hour.

And Smith forced a good save from Rikki Banks, who was relieved to see another substitute, Tommy Black, fire against a post.

Banks denied Leon McKenzie late on, before Isaiah Rankin raced clear to seal the points for Hendon in the third minute of stoppage time.

Hornchurch find themselves four points adrift of leaders Billericay, who were held to a draw by basement boys Horsham.

And they play their game in hand at Carshalton tomorrow night, while Romford welcome Maldon to Mill Field.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter