Romford school named in top 100 of most improved in country
STAFF and pupils at a school that came close to being put in special measures are celebrating after being named among the top 100 most improved in the country.
The Mawney School in Mawney Road, Romford, is one of the most improved schools based on performance in English and maths from 2008 to 2010.
Head teacher Craig Brown said: “All of the staff and students are really proud that we have been recognised for all our hard work.
“It is down to the staff and the parents who have supported us and really wanted the school to do better.”
Mawney has also been highly commended for key stage two results in English and maths which have jumped from 41 per-cent reaching level four to 81 per-cent.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Brown said: “The results for a number of years were below average but now it has really improved and I think that we have enough sustained improvement to show that we are getting better and we are a really good school.”
In 2008 the school had a poor reputation and it almost came close to being put in special measures.
- 1 Deadline looming to comment on Market Place development plans
- 2 Romford man gains 100,000 signatures to scrap £200m Prince Philip yacht
- 3 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood
- 4 Havering electoral wards face axe as borough is split into 20 areas
- 5 Why Romford MP is allowed to keep names of donors secret
- 6 Town centre app launches to entice shoppers to Romford
- 7 'No one deserves that': Neighbours 'traumatised' by triple stabbing
- 8 Romford Tesco Extra plants trees to offset car emissions
- 9 'I've never felt so excited' - Theatre company saved from collapse
- 10 Harold Wood fatal stabbing victim named as police arrest three more people
Since then more training for staff and new equipment and resources have paid off.
Most recently work was carried out on improving the toilets and creating a new playground for reception pupils.
Mr Brown said: “It is the little things that matter because if things look nice then people will feel proud of them and they will feel a sense of ownership.”