Romford’s five-star start to friendly campaign
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo
Romford 5 Southend Manor 1
Romford got their pre-season campaign off to a good start with an emphatic win at Fords Newbury Park last night.
Ryman North Boro played their first-ever friendly against Essex Senior League side Southend Manor, who had romped to a 10-1 win over AFC Barnston at the weekend, having beaten them in 20 of 37 previous league and cup meetings.
And Paul Martin’s men produced a five-star display to run out comfortable winners, with Taj Hussain netting twice.
Stalwarts Nick Reynolds and James Ishmail were also on target for the home side, who completed their nap hand thanks to an own goal.
You may also want to watch:
Romford will now look forward to hosting Dagenham & Redbridge at Ship Lane on Saturday, with the match kicking off at 1.30pm.
*Essex Senior league Ilford fell to a 2-1 defeat against Ryman North Tilbury after conceding a last-minute goal at Robert Clack School.
- 1 Four people taken to hospital after Romford town centre incident
- 2 East London police officer charged with rape
- 3 Mapped: Possession of weapons across east London
- 4 Mourners to host vigil in Harold Hill park for lost teenage boys
- 5 Nurse pulls man from burning car after Romford crash
- 6 Romford location ‘encapsulates Britain’ in soon to premiere horror movie
- 7 Brentwood deaths: Teen charged with double murder to appear in court
- 8 ATMs to be reinstalled in shopping mall in 'more prominent location'
- 9 Upminster chef named best in the country with award
- 10 Covid-19 cases surge in Havering, latest figures reveal
Allan Fenn’s Foxes took first-half lead through Ben Turner, but the Dockers pegged them back on 70 minutes as Eli Benoit netted and then saw Emiel Aiken strike the winner with virtually the last kick of the match.
Ilford had lost 3-2 to Aveley at the weekend and face Enfield Town at Robert Clack next Tuesday (July 19).
Clapton claimed a good 2-1 win over Hertford Town at the Old Spotted Dog and will welcome Witham for another friendly tomorrow (Thursday), before playing two matches against Cockfosters on Saturday, at 2pm and 5pm.
Barking visit Essex Olympian League side Harold Hill tomorrow, while Barkingside host Welwyn Garden city at the Met Police Ground in Chigwell on Saturday (3pm).
Redbridge visit Harold Wood Athletic on Saturday, when London Bari entertain Wingate & Finchley and Barking meet Kelvedon Hatch at Robert Clack School.