Romford runner hobbled last nine miles of London Marathon after injury
- Credit: Archant
A runner, who tripped over a discarded water bottle and damaged his tendon, hobbled the last nine miles of the London Marathon yesterday.
Tom Binder, 21, tripped over the bottle after 15 miles which inflamed a previous Achilles’ injury, and said he almost dropped out of the marathon because of it , but said his family’s support got him through it.
Tom of Pettits Lane, Romford, said: “I stretched the muscle it after I tripped and kept going because I knew my family was waiting for me at mile 17. I carried on and saw a physio at mile 18 who gave me some pain killers. I met my dad again at mile 20 and I was bowled over by the support of the crowd. I didn’t want to not finish because I didn’t want to let people down. By then I thought I was going to have to walk the rest of the way and I burst out in tears because of the pain, but the crowd helped pick me up.
“I took one of my shoes off at mile 24 and I walked and hobbled along the last part. And my family met me again at the end. They and the crowd cheering was the best morale boost to help me finish the marathon.”
Tom raised £600 for his chosen charity Arthritis Research UK.
You may also want to watch:
Did you take part in the London Marathon? You can send your pictures and details to email@example.com.
- 1 West Ham free to build new training facility as council approves plans
- 2 Romford celebrity scandals: Stars who hit headlines for the wrong reasons
- 3 Development coming to Havering: What plans were submitted, approved or rejected in recent months?
- 4 Havering's MPs mourn fatal stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 5 Man charged with attempted bank robbery in Romford to appear in court
- 6 Beam Park station 'can't go ahead without government support', council says
- 7 Women targeted in string of mobile phone thefts at Romford nightclub
- 8 Entry and exit wording on ground by Elm Park car park to be investigated
- 9 Mum fears gaping ceiling left by workers will 'collapse' on children
- 10 Romford's Jesy Nelson denies 'blackfishing' accusations