Romford Royal Marines Association raised more than �22,000 in 2012
The public donated a staggering �22,000 to a Romford veteran’s association in 2012.
Regular collections by the Romford and District Branch of the Royal Marines Association saw the fabulous sum raised for the troops.
It has repeatedly been the most successful branch in the whole of the East Anglian region.
The money goes to support servicemen and women injured in Iraq and Afghanistan and the families of those who have lost their lives whilst serving there as well veterans of previous conflicts.
Last week the volunteers raised �1,337 at Tesco, Gallows Corner.
You may also want to watch:
Branch chairman Les Wright, said: “It was a bit of fun, and Santa and his helper were a big draw and not only for the youngsters.
“Tesco shoppers donated a fantastic amount and I want to thank them all for their generosity at a particularly expensive time of year.”
- 1 'Important' ATMs removed from Romford shopping mall
- 2 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 3 Upminster chef named best in the country with award
- 4 Brentwood deaths: Teen charged with double murder to appear in court
- 5 Two in hospital after crash in Upminster involving 'stolen' van
- 6 Men questioned and 200 hours of CCTV seized after boys killed in Brentwood
- 7 End 8am scramble to secure GP appointments, watchdog warns
- 8 Post delays reported in Harold Hill as Royal Mail confirms staff shortages
- 9 ATMs to be reinstalled in shopping mall in 'more prominent location'
- 10 Eight arrested on suspicion of murder following death of two teens
For three years in a row the branch has won the trophy for the most raised by any group in the East Anglian region.
It raised more than 70 per cent of the region’s total in each of the last three years.
The Royal Marines Association is a registered charity and the local branch meets at Hornchurch Royal British Legion, High Street, on the third Wednesday of every month at 8pm.
Anyone wishing to help or interested in joining the association should contact Les on 01708 509 673.