Romford Royal British Legion Club celebrates steward’s 60th
Staff and members at the Romford Royal British Legion Club, Western Road, threw a surprise party for their steward John Warne to mark his 60th birthday.
The celebration, complete with balloons and cake, took place on Saturday night. Mr Warne has been pulling pints in the club for nearly three decades – and his colleagues believe he may be the longest serving steward in the borough.
Club member John France said Mr Warne’s secondment to the Western Road club was only meant to be temporary - but he ended up staying for 27 years.
“I popped into the Romford club one day and I saw a guy on the bar with dark hair and a bit of a Beatles haircut,” Mr France, 66, remembered.
“He’s always been a joker and a bit of a character but he’s very shy really.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr France added Mr Warne was “a hard working, loyal, conscientious man, liked by members, guests and his staff.”
A collection at the club for Mr Warne was converted into dollars so he could take some spending money when visiting his son in Detroit in November.
- 1 Public detain male in street after alleged bid to rob Rainham shop
- 2 Romford school prepped for another 100 years as major renovation works end
- 3 Hospital's failure to identify neck injury 'contributed' to courier's death, inquest finds
- 4 Trust celebrating Hornchurch history opens new permanent heritage centre
- 5 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 6 Hospitality Hero: 'Biggest prize is appreciation,' says tearoom owner
- 7 Woman who struggled to walk with 'excruciating pain’ to run London Marathon
- 8 Report found Town Hall response to alleged sexual harassment case 'disturbing'
- 9 Hornchurch man to face trial accused of teeth whitening offence
- 10 Havering Hospitality Hero: Hornchurch's Tandoori Lounge racks up awards