Romford pub wins high praise - for its toilets
A ROMFORD pub is flushed with success after picking up a top toilet gong.
With its gilded mirrors, subtle Paisley-patterned tiling and granite hand basins, the loos in the World’s Inn, in South Street, are cut above the average pub WC.
Last week the boozer was handed the highest possible five-star rating by inspectors in the Loo of the year Awards 2010.
Pub boss Cassandra Tuck has been going potty since picking up the award.
“I am delighted with the award,” she said. “Staff at the pub work hard to ensure that the toilets are in first-class condition at all times and it is great that this has been recognised by the inspectors.”
The awards are aimed at highlighting and improving standards of ‘away from home’ toilet provision in the UK.
All of the inspected loos are assessed from one star to the maximum five - with unacceptable toilets pooh-poohed and not graded at all.
- 1 Hornchurch ranked top place in UK for takeaway fish and chips, study finds
- 2 Several hectares of Rainham grassland destroyed in fire
- 3 Man threatened and robbed of iPhone and bank card at Romford station
- 4 Road closures in place after Romford flat fire
- 5 Man charged with attempted murder after 23-year-old stabbed in Hornchurch
- 6 Appeal to find missing girl, 16, with links to Romford
- 7 Launch events held for businesses targeted at the ‘more mature raver’
- 8 Romford World Naked Bike Ride: How protest sits at the heart of the nude cycle
- 9 London among areas where drought is declared
- 10 'What about vulnerable people?’: Couple protest parking ticket from Gallows Corner Tesco after alleged ‘double dipping’ issue
Authorised inspectors make unannounced visits to more than 1,500 facilities across the country.
The toilets are rated against numerous criteria, including decor and maintenance, cleanliness, accessibility, hand washing and drying equipment and overall management.
Awards director, Mike Bone, said: “The toilets at The World’s Inn are superb and the pub richly deserves its five stars rating.”