Romford pictures: Fantastic foxes and oompa loompas at school’s Roald Dahl day
- Credit: photo: Arnaud Stephenson
Many wonderful surprises awaited the students of Oakfields Montessori School on Friday as they entered the magical worlds of Roald Dahl.
The school in Harwood Lane, Upminster, was filled with oompa loompas, Big Friendly Giants, crocodiles and the formidable Mrs Trunchball, who took charge for the day supported by the Grand High Witch.
The Dahlicious theme ran through the school day with the children learning through the literature of the beloved author who penned works including Fantastic Mr Fox and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
Each year group was allocated a specific text to share and write about in their classrooms.
The day also included a drama and literacy workshop, storytelling sessions and the chance for pupils to create their very own chocolate factories.
You may also want to watch:
The celebration even made its way into the dining room where students were confronted by lunch options including The Witches’ Green Pea Soup, Mr Fox’s Boggis’ Chicken, The Twits’ Worm Spaghetti and Matilda’s Bogtrodden style chocolate cake.
Headteacher Laura Ciftci said: “It has been wonderful to take part in a National celebration of the authors work. Lots of fun has been had by all, but more importantly valuable learning has taken place.”
- 1 Harold Wood fatal stabbing victim named as police arrest three more people
- 2 New rapid testing sites open in Romford and Upminster
- 3 Man jailed for drug offences and violent assaults in Romford flat
- 4 Arrests made after multiple stabbing in Havering
- 5 CCTV cameras to enforce new lorry ban through Rainham village
- 6 One teenager dead in Harold Hill double stabbing
- 7 New venture for Hornchurch MasterChef hairdresser
- 8 Family of Harvey Tyrrell campaigning for stricter pub safety laws
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 May 17: What can't open when Covid-19 lockdown rules ease?