Romford named lucky Lotto town
IT could be you. And it might well have been, after Romford was named as one of the top five luckiest UK towns this week by the National Lottery.
Lotto-playing Romfordians have raked in nearly �160m in winnings in the past 16 years – making the town the fourth luckiest postcode in the country.
But topping the poll is neighbouring borough Ilford, east London, where locals shared nearly �87m.
Although the figure is smaller than Romford’s, there were more high-level winners.
Newcastle comes in second place as a lucky hotspot with one in 6,207 of its residents having now bagged a jackpot prize. While Medway, in Kent, is ranked as the third luckiest place to live.
You may also want to watch:
A Lottery spokesman said: “Congratulations to Ilford which has held onto the top spot as the luckiest place to live in the UK. There are obviously many residents in the area who have enjoyed a lucky windfall on the lottery over the past 16 years.”
“In truth every part of the UK should consider themselves lucky with an average of 22 lottery millionaires which have been created in each postcode and a whopping �37 billion paid out in prizes since 1994.“
- 1 'Heads should roll': Drug dealers left on Romford streets for eight months
- 2 Collier Row shooting: Police release CCTV in bid to trace man
- 3 Weekly Covid cases across east London revealed
- 4 Deep clean of Havering aims to get streets 'back to how they should be’
- 5 Mum opens Romford juice van to offer healthy snacks and drinks for kids
- 6 'Gentle giant' driven propped up on van's floor with serious head injury, inquest hears
- 7 'Cover up or terrible mistake?': Family told hostel death inquest will not take place
- 8 Gidea Park school to celebrate 100th birthday
- 9 Hornchurch pub licensing meeting postponed due to 'possibly prejudicial' email
- 10 Hornchurch man ‘lucky’ for rare disorder diagnosis, thanks to junior doctor
The total prize winnings for the luckiest top 10 postcodes since the launch of the National Lottery in 1994 is more than �1billion with a total of 644 top prizes won and 237 millionaires created in these areas.
Over 2,500 lottery winners have now joined the exclusive ‘Millionaires’ Club’ – which means across the UK an incredible one in 6,760 of the UK’s player population has now won a share of a National Lottery jackpot.
This compares to around one in 19,000 in 2002 when the statistics were first compiled.