Romford MP Andrew Rosindell calls for Queen’s portrait to be displayed for new arrivals
Conservative Andrew Rosindell urged his colleagues to back new laws aimed at promoting pride in the nation for anyone arriving at international terminals.
The cross party-backed bill would also demand the creation of dedicated immigration lanes for citizens of Commonwealth nations, because Mr Rosindell said it was wrong for these people to be treated as foreigners to the UK.
The Romford MP said Commonwealth nations had much closer historic ties to Britain than those of the EU - and said it would give Britons the option to arrive as Commonwealth citizens rather than European ones.
He told the House of Commons: “I believe when visitors arrive at UK Passport Control they should be left in no doubt they have arrived in a confident and proud British nation.
“The Queen’s portrait should be prominently on display at every entry point to the UK without exception, alongside the Royal Coat of Arms, the Union flag, together with the flags of England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Rosindell also urged the uniform of the UK Border Agency to be revised, restoring the symbol of the Crown and to re-name the agency as Her Majesty’s Border Police.
Earlier this year Mr Rosindell unearthed a portrait of the Queen amid rubble in the British Embassy in Libya.
- 1 Public detain male in street after alleged bid to rob Rainham shop
- 2 Romford school prepped for another 100 years as major renovation works end
- 3 Hospital's failure to identify neck injury 'contributed' to courier's death, inquest finds
- 4 Trust celebrating Hornchurch history opens new permanent heritage centre
- 5 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 6 Hospitality Hero: 'Biggest prize is appreciation,' says tearoom owner
- 7 Report found Town Hall response to alleged sexual harassment case 'disturbing'
- 8 Woman who struggled to walk with 'excruciating pain’ to run London Marathon
- 9 Hornchurch man to face trial accused of teeth whitening offence
- 10 Havering Hospitality Hero: Hornchurch's Tandoori Lounge racks up awards