Romford MP Andrew Rosindell calls for live feather plucking ban
Romford MP Andrew Rosindell has joined a charity in calling for a ban on live feather plucking.
Animal charity Four Paws alerted Mr Rosindell to the practice, which involves ripping feathers from live birds. The feathers are then used in items such as pillows, duvets and clothing in some parts of Europe. Birds can be left in pain and with bleeding follicles, skin tears and bruising. According to the charity the process of catching, carrying and restraining birds for plucking can also cause fear and distress and may result in injuries such as dislocations and fractures.
Mr Rosindell has tabled an early day motion calling on the government to support a total ban on the deliberate removal of feathers from live birds in Europe.
Four Paws’ head of programmes Angelique Davies said: “Ripping feathers from live birds is incredibly cruel. The birds suffer physical pain as well as mental trauma.
“There is only one reason why this is done to live birds – profit. Some birds are forced to go through this terrible ordeal several times before they are slaughtered.
You may also want to watch:
“The inherent cruelty of this practice has been recognised by the Council of Europe. The European Convention for the Protection of Animals Kept for Farming Purposes recommends that feathers and down shall not be plucked from live birds.
“It’s high time these recommendations were fully incorporated into European law.”
- 1 How did your Havering GP surgery score in NHS patient survey?
- 2 Case for release of Gallows Corner upgrade funds is in pipeline, TfL says
- 3 Free swimming for schoolchildren in Havering launched ahead of Olympics
- 4 120-home development on Harold Hill college site approved
- 5 Four-car crash in Havering-atte-Bower reignites calls for 20mph speed limit
- 6 Secondary schools in Havering rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 7 Thunderstorms and possible flooding forecast for east London
- 8 'Second of its kind' interactive Oceanarium room to open in Romford
- 9 Havering residents warned of weed which can cause ‘severe blistering’
- 10 New Home Bargains store to open in Romford