Romford MP Andrew Rosindell backs Andrea Leadsom to be next Prime Minister
- Credit: Archant
Romford MP Andrew Rosindell has given Andrea Leadsom his backing to become the next leader of the Conservative party and Prime Minister.
Both MPs campaigned for Brexit.
Mr Rosindell tweeted “Delighted to be backing @andrealeadsom to be next Leader & PM. Integrity, conviction and strong leadership. #Leadsom4Leader #FreshStart” on Sunday.
Mrs Leadsom is a 53-year-old former banker and fund manager. She was one of the stars of the Leave campaign appearing alongside Boris Johnson in a television debate.
She has told Sky News: “My personal view very genuinely is the next leader is someone who has to deliver on the promise of the referendum because they can see the huge advantages and they believe in them. I think it’s very difficult for somebody who campaigned to stay in, who thinks that there will be disaster if we leave to suddenly turn it around and start believing we can make a go of it.”
You may also want to watch:
David Cameron announced his resignation on Friday June 24, just hours after the result of the referendum was announced.
Mrs Leadsom is running against Michael Gove, Theresa May, Stephen Crabb and Liam Fox.
- 1 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 2 Man injured after assault reported at Gallows Corner supermarket
- 3 'Poor living standard': Plans for Harold Hill HMO blocked amid multiple concerns
- 4 Traffic building at petrol hotspots amid ongoing clamour for fuel
- 5 Boy, 15, was in 'life-threatening' condition after Upminster stabbing
- 6 Woman, 52, dies in Collier Row in 'unexplained' circumstances
- 7 Collier Row Roundabout set for resurfacing works
- 8 Teen hospitalised after being stabbed in Upminster
- 9 What's happening on the roads and railways next week?
- 10 Award-winning Kushi restaurant sets up initiative to help fundraisers
MPs will begin voting tomorrow to whittle the contenders down to two.
The new leader will then be announced on September 9 following a vote by party members.