Romford mother’s appeal for organ donors
THE MOTHER of a young woman whose life was saved by a double lung transplant has appealed for people to make adding their names to the donor transplant register one of their new year’s resolutions.
Having read The Recorder’s reports about 23-year-old cystic fibrosis sufferer Victoria Tremlett in recent weeks, Sandra Trendell, of Mawney Road, Romford, said she wanted to tell readers about the positive results the same operation had on her daughter.
“When I read Victoria’s words on her day-to-day existence, it took me back to a very dark time in my family’s life,” Mrs Trendell said.
Her daughter, whose maiden name was Claire Hayes, needed a double lung transplant in 2005 when she was just 20-years-old.
“She had been on the transplant list for about 18 months but in March of that year she almost died twice in one week following her third collapsed lung and complications when a drain was put in to re-inflate it,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
One month after her 20th birthday Claire was given the transplant she needed. “With only a few minor set-backs Claire was home and beginning a life she could only ever have dreamed about.
“She was dragging me around the shops seeking clothes and shoes to fit her tiny frame. There really was no stopping her.”
- 1 Harold Wood fatal stabbing victim named as police arrest three more people
- 2 Serial child sex offender jailed after found with 14,000 indecent images
- 3 Family of Harvey Tyrrell campaigning for stricter pub safety laws
- 4 'No one deserves that': Neighbours 'traumatised' by triple stabbing
- 5 Man jailed for drug offences and violent assaults in Romford flat
- 6 Arrests made after multiple stabbing in Havering
- 7 Memorial bench at hospital honours 'well-loved' medic
- 8 Petition launched by family of Harvey Tyrrell soars to 40,000 signatures
- 9 CCTV cameras to enforce new lorry ban through Rainham village
- 10 Man's suicide method thoughts were not in clinical notes, inquest hears
During one of her stays in hospital she met fellow sufferer Michael Ward, who she fell in love with and married.
Claire and Michael Ward were married for nearly five years when Michael lost his own fight with cystic fibrosis and died on August 12 2010.
“I truly hope that there will be somebody who will be inspired by Claire’s story to join the transplant register. We will always remember that there is a family somewhere who lost their young daughter and so generously thought of how their loss could affect others.
“Please make joining the transplant register one of your New Year resolutions and just as importantly, discuss your wishes with your family. There is not enough emphasis on the importance of this.”
To register as an organ donor visit: http://www.uktransplant.org.uk