Romford is London’s divorce hotspot - Ministry of Justice figures
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Romford is revealed as London’s divorce hotspot in new figures from the Ministry of Justice.
Nearly 1,800 couples filed for divorce at Romford County Court - which primarily covers Havering, as well as parts of Redbridge and Barking and Dagenham - between October 2011 and September 2012.
That’s more than at any other London court, and the fourth-highest figure in the UK.
The data were revealed this week as Family Justice Minister Lord McNally urged divorcing couples to seek mediation rather than court proceedings.
“When working out how to split assets and arrange time with the children, mediation is a far simpler and cheaper approach for everyone and leads to better outcomes,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“We are changing the law so all couples seeking a court order about child contact or a financial matter must attend a mediation information assessment meeting first, to consider whether mediation is suitable for them.”
- 1 Woman dies after car crash near Upminster
- 2 Romford’s M&S staff go viral with Thriller dance TikTok video
- 3 How Romford are you? Test yourself with our quiz
- 4 Family 'sleeps with one ear open' after repeated flooding in heavy rain
- 5 Brentwood attack: CCTV appeal after man repeatedly kicked in head
- 6 Disruptions to watch out for in and around Havering next week
- 7 Still no progress on plans for new health hub at St George's Hospital site
- 8 'I don't feel safe': Mother who uses wheelchair calls for suitable home
- 9 Consultations open on rolling out school streets to 12 new sites
- 10 Fire and highwaymen: The history of Hornchurch's old archway