Romford insurers Towergate give tips to protect Havering businesses against the winter chill
A Romford insurance company has given tips to help Havering businesses hold back the cold.
Derek Lyons, managing director of London Road firm Towergate, said: “Winter weather can cause operational problems and slow down normal trading.
“Frozen pipes and tanks can cause leaks, which can damage premises and ruin stock and equipment, and take months to put right.”
Business owners should insulate pipes and tanks, especially those in roof areas, to avoid freezing.
Staff should be told where and how to turn off the water in the event of an emergency by locating the main stop cock. Heating should be left on where possible, and if a business will be empty over Christmas then owners should tell their insurers and turn off water mains.
You may also want to watch:
Business should have an easily accessible list of emergency contacts including plumbers, and important paper and computer records should be backed up and stored off-site.
- 1 How did your Havering GP surgery score in NHS patient survey?
- 2 Free swimming for schoolchildren in Havering launched ahead of Olympics
- 3 Case for release of Gallows Corner upgrade funds is in pipeline, TfL says
- 4 10-storey block expansion of 700-home development in Rainham gets go-ahead
- 5 Thunderstorms and possible flooding forecast for east London
- 6 Four-car crash in Havering-atte-Bower reignites calls for 20mph speed limit
- 7 120-home development on Harold Hill college site approved
- 8 New Home Bargains store to open in Romford
- 9 Secondary schools in Havering rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 10 Havering residents warned of weed which can cause ‘severe blistering’