Romford house extension plans refused after voting confusion

Plans for a house extension have been turned down for the second time in two weeks after confusion over voting.

The plans for a two-storey side and rear extension, and a single-storey front extension in Greenock Way, Romford, were heard on November 29.

Officers recommended approval of the plans, but the sequence of voting at the last meeting with a motion to refuse being defeated and the motion to approve not supported by a majority vote meant no decision was made. This was not clear until after the meeting when the council took legal advice and decided to bring it back to committee.

After initial confusion again at yesterday’s (Thursday, December 13) meeting again about the voting system, the plans were refused.

The application was originally called in by Cllr Michael Armstrong on the grounds of its impact on the streetscene, size and mass.


You may also want to watch:


The council received six letters of objection plus a petition with 31 signatures.

Cllr Armstrong said in the meeting on Thursday night: “I’m disappointed that we are back before the committee. We felt that the decision had been made and it’s a shame that we are back here.

Most Read

“I believe the application is intrusive and offensive to the area. I think that the impact on the street will be harmful

“The residents have no issue with a development taking place, but they ask that it is in keeping with the area.”

Cllr Ron Ower said: “I want to say how sorry to the residents and the applicant that it is back here and the anxiety this has caused. But I think that the extension is far too big.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter