Romford HMV to remain open
THE local branch of the last remaining major music retailer in Romford appears to have been spared closure.
HMV recently closed 10 stores across the country and 30 more are due to close after sales at the HMV group, which also includes Waterstones, fell by 10 per cent over the Christmas period.
The Ilford branch of the store was closed last week, but the Romford store looks set to remain open for the immediate future.
A spokesman for HMV said: “There are no plans to close the Romford store as far as I’m aware. Stores that are closing are typically in areas where we have two already.
“It’s an ongoing thing, as leases come up for renewal, like in Ilford, some are not being renewed.”
You may also want to watch:
But the spokesman added that he couldn’t give “a categoric” answer on whether it would be open indefinitely.
A spokesman for Waterstones said the chain had already closed 14 of the 20 bookshops it had announced would close, but couldn’t say where the remaining six were located.
- 1 Deadline looming to comment on Market Place development plans
- 2 Romford man gains 100,000 signatures to scrap £200m Prince Philip yacht
- 3 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood
- 4 Havering electoral wards face axe as borough is split into 20 areas
- 5 Why Romford MP is allowed to keep names of donors secret
- 6 Town centre app launches to entice shoppers to Romford
- 7 'No one deserves that': Neighbours 'traumatised' by triple stabbing
- 8 Romford Tesco Extra plants trees to offset car emissions
- 9 'I've never felt so excited' - Theatre company saved from collapse
- 10 Harold Wood fatal stabbing victim named as police arrest three more people