Romford HMV to remain open
THE local branch of the last remaining major music retailer in Romford appears to have been spared closure.
HMV recently closed 10 stores across the country and 30 more are due to close after sales at the HMV group, which also includes Waterstones, fell by 10 per cent over the Christmas period.
The Ilford branch of the store was closed last week, but the Romford store looks set to remain open for the immediate future.
A spokesman for HMV said: “There are no plans to close the Romford store as far as I’m aware. Stores that are closing are typically in areas where we have two already.
“It’s an ongoing thing, as leases come up for renewal, like in Ilford, some are not being renewed.”
You may also want to watch:
But the spokesman added that he couldn’t give “a categoric” answer on whether it would be open indefinitely.
A spokesman for Waterstones said the chain had already closed 14 of the 20 bookshops it had announced would close, but couldn’t say where the remaining six were located.
- 1 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 2 Demolition 'will now begin' to make way for 120 homes at former campus
- 3 Hornchurch man to face trial accused of teeth whitening offence
- 4 Signals at Hornchurch 'crash hotspot' now under review
- 5 Altered timetable means fewer fast trains between Romford and Liverpool Street
- 6 Ex-cop quizzed by police amid historic child sex investigation
- 7 Major train disruption and cancellations through Barking via Rainham
- 8 Sixth form denies knowledge of alleged A Level 'no confidence vote'
- 9 Gallows Corner Tesco development proposal refused
- 10 ‘It was odd’: Nurse who battled breast cancer retires after 30 years