Romford footballer Johnny could go pro
A Romford teen is in trials to win a professional soccer contract.
Talented amateur footballer Johnny Gallagher, 19, from Romford, has been selected to take part in first-round trials which could lead to a dream professional contract with league two club Swindon Town.
Johnny entered Samsung’s nationwide ‘Win a Pro Contract’ competition hoping to sign with Paolo Di Canio’s team.
Jonny said: “I entered the competition because I love football and I always wanted to see if I could make it.
“It felt amazing to be selected for the trials, this is my chance and I need to make the most of it.”
You may also want to watch:
‘Win a Pro’ Ambassador and ex-Swindon player Chris Kamara believes it will be a life-changing experience for the winner.
Chris said: “Win a Pro Contract is a great break for one lucky lad. He might start off in The Football League and work his way to The Premier League, who knows?
- 1 Best places to have a curry in Havering as chosen by readers
- 2 Gallows Corner Tesco development proposal refused
- 3 Collier Row shooting: Police release CCTV in bid to trace man
- 4 Havering's Hospitality Heroes revealed: Which venues are crowned winners?
- 5 'Heads should roll': Drug dealers left on Romford streets for eight months
- 6 Daniel Laskos death: Court hearing for murder accused teens
- 7 Sentencing of Harold Hill ATM robber is postponed
- 8 Charity opens development to help homeless into independent living
- 9 National Hospitality Day: Locals stuck by cafe through 'thick and thin'
- 10 Covid cases drop at Queen’s and King George hospitals
“So many players are rejected by clubs, or do not get an opportunity to shine. Win a Pro is a great initiative by Samsung; it will be a huge honour for whoever wins it.”
The initiative is also backed by Sky Sports News presenter Hayley McQueen.
Hayley said: “When I was working at Manchester United there were so many boys there who had big dreams and were close to making the grade.
“Some made it, but lots were left disappointed. It was hard to see because it’s obviously very difficult to take at a young age.”
The hopefuls will take part in national and regional trials before the winner is chosen by Di Canio. They then will join the first-team squad in the January 2012 transfer window.
You can follow Johnny’s progress by visiting: www.facebook.com/samsungfootball