Romford eye doc up for award after patient praise
An eye specialist based at Queen’s Hospital, in Romford, has been nominated for a national award after outstanding praise from his patients.
Niaz Islam, consultant ophthalmologist, is in the running for the Clinical Service of the Year award as part of the Macular Disease Society’s 25th Anniversary Awards for Excellence.
The nomination recognises his exceptionally good practice in the care of people with macular disease.
Age-related macular degeneration (AMD) affects the central vision and is the biggest cause of sight loss in the UK.
There are many other forms of macular disease, including juvenile macular dystrophies.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Islam said: “I am delighted to be nominated for this award on behalf of my team. It is due to their efforts and dedication that we have been able to set up and deliver this service for our patients with macular degeneration.”
Joan Price, a patient who nominated Mr Islam for the award said: “His professionalism is first class.”
- 1 'Disgraceful': Ex-estate agent sentenced for Chris Whitty assault
- 2 Harold Hill man pleads guilty to Chris Whitty assault
- 3 Chronically ill Romford man's fight for diagnosis after being told problem is psychological
- 4 Daniel Laskos stabbing: Teens plead not guilty to murder
- 5 Daniel Laskos stabbing: Teens charged with murder to face court
- 6 Lower Thames Crossing: How would Upminster be affected?
- 7 Romford ‘best in region’ chef shares his cooking tip and favourite dish
- 8 Action promised over 'lorry parking forcing children to walk in busy road'
- 9 'Lovely service': Initial impressions of Kem Cetinay's restaurant Array
- 10 Meet the Olympians from east London and Brentwood
Mr Islam’s nomination will now be handed over to the judges, who will decide on the overall winners and present them with their awards at the society’s annual London conference on 22 September.
For information, advice and support about macular disease, contact the Macular Disease Society’s Helpline on 0845 241 2041 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.