Romford care worker buying own home after dad wins £250k in Euromillions lottery
A Romford care worker is looking forward to having a house of her own after her bricklayer dad won the lottery.
Lucky Colin Hopkins, 48, found out he matched five numbers and a Lucky Star in the Euromillions draw on September 17 after taking a “lucky dip”.
He kept the £256,130 winnings a surprise until daughter Jamie, 25, got home from work in Romford.
She said: “I just couldn’t believe it and had to resort to a fortifying glass of wine to help this amazing news sink in.”
Dad Colin, of South Ockendon said: “It wasn’t until Wednesday morning, while I enjoyed my morning cup of tea, that I checked the numbers online.
“I was utterly gobsmacked. I have to be honest, there was no whooping for joy, I just sat there like a lemon for about an hour completely stunned.”
Colin has been celebrating with Jamie and her sister Carlie, 26.
- 1 Isla Caton's mother pays tribute to seven-year-old whose 'love will last a lifetime'
- 2 Romford M&S employee celebrates 50 years' service
- 3 Father and son found guilty of Dagenham car park murder of John Avers
- 4 Plans to demolish council garages to build supported living for young people and disabled adults
- 5 Harold Wood academy given emotional wellbeing and mental health award
- 6 Mother's agony after daughter laid dead in Hornchurch flat for six weeks
- 7 Parking restricted at country park as work starts on Covid woodland memorial
- 8 Romford metal firm wants to 'rebuild trust' after residents stage protest
- 9 'A kind, gentle man': Tributes to retired printworker and beloved father
- 10 Man 'threatened' outside Indian restaurant in Brentwood
They have already started house hunting so they can move out of a rented home into their own house.
A shopping spree and holiday is also on the list with the £256,130 winnings but Colin said the peace of mind of owning a home was the priority.
“I can’t wait for the girls to be safely under a roof that is all ours,” he added.