Romford boss welcomes returnees
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO
Martin pleased to retain nucleus of squad
Romford boss Paul Martin expressed his delight at already retaining the nucleus of his side for the 2013/14 Ryman Division One North season.
The return of 11 players was announced late last week, with Lewis Francis added along with Tom Richardson, following his brief spell at Thurrock, this week.
Boro ended last season in eighth place, their best finish since returning to this level, and Martin said: “After the way we finished last season it’s nice to keep as many of the boys as we can.
“It’s good to get them early doors and nail them down to commit. We know that some of them will get other offers and even though they’ve put pen to paper, nothing is set in stone, but it is good to get that commitment.”
You may also want to watch:
Martin name-checked several of the players and outlined his philosophy for moving the team forward, adding: “Abs Seymour has been immense for us and it’s good to have other players like captain Jack Barry, Paul Clayton, George Woodward, James Ishmail.
“It’s nice to have those youngsters back and keep them playing together. That’s what Alex Ferguson did, he brought together a great young group and kept them together and turned them into a good force.”
- 1 Woman dies after car crash near Upminster
- 2 Romford’s M&S staff go viral with Thriller dance TikTok video
- 3 How Romford are you? Test yourself with our quiz
- 4 Family 'sleeps with one ear open' after repeated flooding in heavy rain
- 5 Brentwood attack: CCTV appeal after man repeatedly kicked in head
- 6 Disruptions to watch out for in and around Havering next week
- 7 Still no progress on plans for new health hub at St George's Hospital site
- 8 'I don't feel safe': Mother who uses wheelchair calls for suitable home
- 9 Fire and highwaymen: The history of Hornchurch's old archway
- 10 Consultations open on rolling out school streets to 12 new sites
Boro are due to hold a trial at the Ford Sports Ground, Aldborough Road South, Newbury Park on June 15 (12.30pm) and Martin is hoping to unearth a few gems to add to his tried and trusted squad, with others still to commit themselves.
“They’re a committed bunch and it shows that you don’t need money to put together a good team,” he said.
“No-one from last season has been ruled out for a return but some people want to wait and see what offers they get.
“I don’t think any of them will move to another team in the same league just for money as they won’t want to move sideways. If someone was offered to go up a league and a bit of money then I could support that because you’ve got to try and play at the highest level you can.
“We will have an open trial and hopefully we’ll pick up one or two good players that could strengthen the squad.”
Richardson tried his luck at a higher level with Thurrock last season, but took to the Boro forum to admit it was a mistake.
The youngster said: “I’ve realised the mistake I’ve made leaving a great family club for a club that have a bit of money, and I feel it’s better late than never to admit the mistake I’ve made
“I genuinely can’t wait to get back at Romford for the coming season and play for a club that actually appreciates me and hopefully I can play a big part in assisting Romford get to where they deserve (a few leagues higher hopefully).
“I can only apologise to anyone part of Romford for leaving them in the way that I did and although I’m young, I’ve realised what I’ve done and all I can say up the Boro.”
Martin said: “For a young lad to write something like that takes balls and he’s got some desire so we’ll give him the freedom to play football and hope that he pays us back with good performances on the pitch.
“I’m very pleased to have him back, he’s a good young talent and nobody can take that away from him.
“When we lost him we thought it was going to put a bit of a dent in the side but we went on a good run anyway.”