Romford boss Martin starting to ‘panic’
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO
Romford manager Paul Martin admits he is beginning to panic about his side ahead of the new Ryman One North season on August 9.
He witnessed his side lose 2-0 to Grays Athletic on Saturday as part of the Millers Challenge Invitational held at Aveley’s Mill Field.
And though they went on to win 2-0 against a youthful East Thurrock side the following day, thanks to goals from Miguel Lopes Dematos and Dave Ottley, Martin is getting concerned with less than a fortnight before the start of the season.
“At the end of the day it’s match fitness which counts, but I was very disappointed in how our style of football was,” said Martin.
“Our commitment on the pitch wasn’t good enough. Alright the pitch is long and the ball isn’t moving quick enough in the grass but I am technically frustrated. I am not going to lie, I am panicking a little bit.
You may also want to watch:
“If you lose 4-0 and create 10 chances you don’t panic as much, but when you lose 2-0 and they hit the woodwork a few times and their goalkeeper has had one save to make, that’s a concern.
“East Thurrock and ourselves have both put out young teams and I put a little bit of a stronger side out late on in the game and it still didn’t work.
- 1 Ex-councillor under investigation over Green Belt building works
- 2 From 100 steps to 10,000: Romford woman tackles serious health issues by losing third of body weight
- 3 Tributes paid to well-loved Romford market fruit-seller
- 4 Firefighters fight car alight in Romford
- 5 Campaigners launch petition to keep Emerson Park in Hornchurch constituency
- 6 Six green spaces to enjoy in Havering
- 7 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 8 Love Island star Kem Cetinay says Romford's Array to open 'in three weeks'
- 9 BID installs wall of evergreen plants to ‘welcome people’ to Romford
- 10 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
“We should be beating East Thurrock reserves and under-21s, there’s no arguments about that but there still wasn’t enough hunger for me out there.”