Romford boss Martin’s forward thinking
Smith return increases attacking options
Romford boss Paul Martin is hoping the addition of Kurt Smith will help fire his side up the Ryman Division One North table in 2013.
Smith returned to Boro from East Thurrock during the Christmas break and made his 100th appearance for the club in their injury-time defeat at Grays in midweek.
A fourth loss in five has seen Boro slip down to 13th place in the table, but Martin said: “Kurt is Kurt. He isn’t 100 per cent fit, but if you look at my options I have Nick Reynolds, Billy Hunt, Ben Jones and Joe Turner.
“That’s five good forwards and we’ll rotate them until we find the right partnership.”
You may also want to watch:
Reynolds currently tops the Boro scoring charts with eight goals in 17 appearances, but Lewis Francis (five), Paul Clayton (four), Jack Barry (three) and Matt Toms (two) are the only other members of the current squad to have more than one goal to their name.
Martin added: “The one disappointment is we have only scored nine goals at home this season whereas we have scored more away, but conceded more as well.
- 1 Public detain male in street after alleged bid to rob Rainham shop
- 2 Romford school prepped for another 100 years as major renovation works end
- 3 Hospital's failure to identify neck injury 'contributed' to courier's death, inquest finds
- 4 Trust celebrating Hornchurch history opens new permanent heritage centre
- 5 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 6 Hospitality Hero: 'Biggest prize is appreciation,' says tearoom owner
- 7 Report found Town Hall response to alleged sexual harassment case 'disturbing'
- 8 Woman who struggled to walk with 'excruciating pain’ to run London Marathon
- 9 Hornchurch man to face trial accused of teeth whitening offence
- 10 Demolition 'will now begin' to make way for 120 homes at former campus
“When you lose 3-0 you blame the forwards for not taking their chances, but it you lose 4-3 you don’t expect to lose having scored three.”
Romford are due to visit Chatham today (Saturday) and are set to entertain Brentwood at Ship Lane on Wednesday.