Romford boss enjoys cruise
Martin pleased with 5-1 triumph
Paul Martin was delighted to see Romford cruise to a 5-1 win over Ryman One North basement boys Waltham Forest at the weekend.
Kurt Smith was among the scorers on his return to a blue and gold shirt, having rejoined from Aveley, as Boro moved back up to third place.
They host Aveley in the league cup tomorrow night, ahead of their FA Trophy tie at Boreham Wood on Saturday, and Martin said: “It was quite a comfortable game and just a matter of when we would break them down.
“Once we got one goal, I knew we’d dominate, which is what we did.
You may also want to watch:
“They had a good win in midweek, but I knew they had a few players missing.
“We got a decent first goal from Ricki Mackin, then a dubious penalty. I couldn’t understand it. I didn’t think the foul was in the box, no-one appealed, but the referee gave it and we were 2-0 up at half-time.
- 1 One teenager dead in Harold Hill double stabbing
- 2 'Beyond annoying' - New traffic measure coming to Hornchurch junction
- 3 Election 2021: Live Havering and Redbridge London Assembly updates
- 4 Labour's Sadiq Khan wins London mayoral election
- 5 Arrests made after multiple stabbing in Havering
- 6 Romford woman through to Ms Great Britain 2021 final
- 7 Man in hospital after falling 'from height' in Romford
- 8 Heritage: The life of Havering's well-loved Peter the Painter
- 9 May 17: What can't open when Covid-19 lockdown rules ease?
- 10 The Romfood Review: A bit of the East End in Essex
“I said to the boys go and get an early third one and we can relax and try and play a bit more.
“It could’ve been 8 or 9. Jason Willis made some great saves to keep the score down.”
Martin was pleased to see Smith, last season’s top scorer, get off the mark on his second debut for the club, adding: “Kurt got his chance earlier than expected with Toran [Senghore] away. He is a goalscorer and poaches goals. You won’t see him score many from outside the box, but he is always in that six-yard box like Gary Lineker used to be.”