Romford apprentice chef beats Hilton apprentices in national competition
A Romford apprentice chef has won a national competition to be crowned a top Hilton chef.
Sarah Kempton, 18, who works at the Waldorf Hotel in Holborn, was one of 24 apprentices from around the country in the Hilton Culinary Cup Challenge.
The contestants had to make a range of canap�s in front of five judges, who included the head chefs of The Dorchester, The Ritz, and the executive head chef of the Park Lane Hotel.
They each had four hours to prepare and present two starters, two mains and two desserts.
Sarah, who has been working at the Waldorf Hotel for four months, made an Asian style beef tartare; a macaroon filled with foie gras with an orange reduction; lamb on a potato fondant and mint jelly; and scallops. For dessert she made a reconstructed cheesecake and a tequila shot.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “We were given a mystery box containing the ingredients for the competition. We didn’t know what we had in store until we opened the box.” She put her impressive menu together with the help of a senior chef at The Waldorf.
Sarah, of Derby Avenue, Romford, added: “The judges said my food was consistently good and of a high standard. I am very proud to have won overall. I would have been happy to have just been in the top three. I didn’t expect to win.”
- 1 Illegal car meet in Rainham sees 49 fined for Covid breaches
- 2 Letters: Social distancing, vaccination experience and how to stop catalytic converter thefts
- 3 Romford MP hails charity's 'extraordinary' work during Covid pandemic
- 4 Infection rates are now falling in Havering - is lockdown working?
- 5 Havering parks and gardens five feet under water as rivers burst their banks
- 6 70% of Havering residents voted to leave the EU
- 7 Charity boss hails response after 'army of volunteers' come forward to support vaccine centres
- 8 Fines issued to Romford and Upminster restaurants flouting coronavirus restrictions
- 9 More than 100 attend first session of gangs awareness workshop run by detective
- 10 Sonic boom heard across east London, Essex and Cambridge
Her prize was a meal at Michelin-starred restaurant Galvin at Windows, and cocktails in Park Lane.