Romford apprentice chef beats Hilton apprentices in national competition
A Romford apprentice chef has won a national competition to be crowned a top Hilton chef.
Sarah Kempton, 18, who works at the Waldorf Hotel in Holborn, was one of 24 apprentices from around the country in the Hilton Culinary Cup Challenge.
The contestants had to make a range of canap�s in front of five judges, who included the head chefs of The Dorchester, The Ritz, and the executive head chef of the Park Lane Hotel.
They each had four hours to prepare and present two starters, two mains and two desserts.
Sarah, who has been working at the Waldorf Hotel for four months, made an Asian style beef tartare; a macaroon filled with foie gras with an orange reduction; lamb on a potato fondant and mint jelly; and scallops. For dessert she made a reconstructed cheesecake and a tequila shot.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “We were given a mystery box containing the ingredients for the competition. We didn’t know what we had in store until we opened the box.” She put her impressive menu together with the help of a senior chef at The Waldorf.
Sarah, of Derby Avenue, Romford, added: “The judges said my food was consistently good and of a high standard. I am very proud to have won overall. I would have been happy to have just been in the top three. I didn’t expect to win.”
- 1 Four people taken to hospital after Romford town centre incident
- 2 East London police officer charged with rape
- 3 Brentwood deaths: Teen charged with double murder to appear in court
- 4 Mapped: Possession of weapons across east London
- 5 ATMs to be reinstalled in shopping mall in 'more prominent location'
- 6 Upminster chef named best in the country with award
- 7 Mourners to host vigil in Harold Hill park for lost teenage boys
- 8 Romford location ‘encapsulates Britain’ in soon to premiere horror movie
- 9 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 10 Brentwood Halloween event cancelled following tragic deaths
Her prize was a meal at Michelin-starred restaurant Galvin at Windows, and cocktails in Park Lane.