Romford apprentice chef beats Hilton apprentices in national competition
A Romford apprentice chef has won a national competition to be crowned a top Hilton chef.
Sarah Kempton, 18, who works at the Waldorf Hotel in Holborn, was one of 24 apprentices from around the country in the Hilton Culinary Cup Challenge.
The contestants had to make a range of canap�s in front of five judges, who included the head chefs of The Dorchester, The Ritz, and the executive head chef of the Park Lane Hotel.
They each had four hours to prepare and present two starters, two mains and two desserts.
Sarah, who has been working at the Waldorf Hotel for four months, made an Asian style beef tartare; a macaroon filled with foie gras with an orange reduction; lamb on a potato fondant and mint jelly; and scallops. For dessert she made a reconstructed cheesecake and a tequila shot.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “We were given a mystery box containing the ingredients for the competition. We didn’t know what we had in store until we opened the box.” She put her impressive menu together with the help of a senior chef at The Waldorf.
Sarah, of Derby Avenue, Romford, added: “The judges said my food was consistently good and of a high standard. I am very proud to have won overall. I would have been happy to have just been in the top three. I didn’t expect to win.”
- 1 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 2 Kem Cetinay officially opens Array restaurant in Harold Wood
- 3 Road and rail disruptions coming up over the coming week
- 4 'Disgraceful': Ex-estate agent sentenced for Chris Whitty assault
- 5 Lower Thames Crossing: How would Upminster be affected?
- 6 'Lovely service': Initial impressions of Kem Cetinay's restaurant Array
- 7 Daniel Laskos stabbing: Teens plead not guilty to murder
- 8 Chronically ill Romford man's fight for diagnosis after being told problem is psychological
- 9 Meet the Olympians from east London and Brentwood
- 10 'For my kids': Mother vows to keep fighting over council flat mould
Her prize was a meal at Michelin-starred restaurant Galvin at Windows, and cocktails in Park Lane.