Romford Ambulance Service gets a new recruit
- Credit: Archant
A 13-year-old who suffers from cystic fibrosis became Romford Ambulance Service’s youngest recruit.
Duty Station Officer Carmel Walling, from the Romford ambulance crew and a personal friend of the charity Rays of Sunshine, oversaw arrangements for the day in which Charlotte Dighton, from Erith in Kent, was given the opportunity to put her illness on hold and fulfil her greatest wish – to be a paramedic for the day.
Charlotte was collected by a Romford ambulance crew and driven to the London Ambulance Service HQ in Waterloo.
There she was presented with her own paramedic shirt and a certificate from the London Ambulance Service to commemorate her visit and grant her the position of honorary paramedic for the day.
After the visit to headquarters, Charlotte was driven back home in an ambulance.
Charlotte had an ambition to be either a paramedic or an actress when she grows up, but her condition may prevent her. I’ve wanted to be a paramedic since I was eight,” she said. “I would like to help save people’s lives.
“I really enjoyed the visit, it hasn’t put me off at all!” she said.
- 1 Kem Cetinay: Love Island star offers ‘deepest condolences’ after fatal motorcycle collision
- 2 Romford World Naked Bike Ride: How protest sits at the heart of the nude cycle
- 3 'Totally gutted’: Hornchurch nightclub owner vows to appeal after opening hours extension refused
- 4 Motorcyclist dies after collision with car on Shepherds Hill
- 5 ‘It winds me up’: Cleanliness of Romford’s South Street slammed
- 6 Hornchurch police station: No movement on purchase plan as assurances sought about station's future
- 7 Romford flooring company proposes disused shop as site for new three-storey building with six homes
- 8 Man dies after suffering gunshot injuries in Harold Hill
- 9 Ilford man charged with possession of knife after Romford nightclub search
- 10 Collier Row tearoom closes almost a year after opening
Carmel said: “Charlotte was interested in everything we do. It was so inspiring to spend time with her.”