Residents fight plans for seven-storey development in Chafford Hundred
- Credit: Archant
Local residents are “fighting for Chafford” after signing a petition to oppose plans to build a seven-storey development of flats in Howard Road.
Developers plan to build 239 homes and a doctor’s surgery on the site behind Bannatyne’s Gym, but residents fear it will only add to the area’s burgeoning traffic problems and lack of school places.
Chafford Hundred resident, John Bennett, who launched the petition which gained nearly 200 signatures in its first hour, said: “We are fighting for Chafford. Not many people knew about the development at first, but now they feel strongly about it and to get 530 signatures in just four days is unbelievable.
“Most of our objections are to do with traffic. Access to the proposed flats are from the busiest roundabout in Chafford with access to Sainsbury’s, the gym, the station, as well as the road to Lakeside. It takes me nearly an hour to get to Sainsbury’s at the weekends and it’s the same during the week at around 5 o’clock. We have to look to the future. Lakeside is expanding which will mean more people want to go there. The only way from Lakeside coming from the East is to go through this roundabout. The traffic has been bad there for the past ten years and it’s getting worse.”
“Also, there are no high rise buildings on Chafford, it just doesn’t match the environment.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Tunde Ojetola, who sits on the planning committee, said: “I have raised the concerns about traffic with the developers and I am disappointed that the plans so far have not taken the issues on board. I am also concerned about the lack of secondary school places which is a major issue in the area and the height of the buildings.”
Speaking on Facebook, one resident, Dino Driver, said: “Only a handful of kids from Tudor Court Primary and Warren Schools got into Harris. It was over subscribed this year by about 250 per cent - more flats - just what we need!”
- 1 Deadline looming to comment on Market Place development plans
- 2 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood
- 3 Serial child sex offender jailed after found with 14,000 indecent images
- 4 Romford man gains 100,000 signatures to scrap £200m Prince Philip yacht
- 5 Why Romford MP is allowed to keep names of donors secret
- 6 Heritage: Is it Romford or Rumford? You decide
- 7 Havering electoral wards face axe as borough is split into 20 areas
- 8 'No one deserves that': Neighbours 'traumatised' by triple stabbing
- 9 'I've never felt so excited' - Theatre company saved from collapse
- 10 One teenager dead in Harold Wood triple stabbing
The planning application will be decided on June 10.