Residents at Romford YMCA get creative at Hip Hop Shakespeare workshop
Teenagers got their creative juices flowing at a Hip Hop Shakespeare workshop.
The residents at the YMCA in Rush Green Road, Romford were able to view the Bard in a whole new light at the workshop on Thursday June 14.
Gemma Latham, the housing officer at the YMCA said: “The workshop was so much fun.
“It was basically a history and a English lesson but they were all really interested in it because it was hip hop.”
The workshop, was run by Mobo award winning artist Akala from the Hip Hop Shakespeare Company, it saw the residents looking at Shakespeare’s sonnets and some hip hop lyrics.
You may also want to watch:
The three hour workshop ended with the residents writing their own sonnets and hip hop lyrics.
Gemma said: “The workshop was a little bit different, but everyone enjoyed it.
- 1 Woman dies after car crash near Upminster
- 2 Romford’s M&S staff go viral with Thriller dance TikTok video
- 3 How Romford are you? Test yourself with our quiz
- 4 Family 'sleeps with one ear open' after repeated flooding in heavy rain
- 5 Still no progress on plans for new health hub at St George's Hospital site
- 6 Fire and highwaymen: The history of Hornchurch's old archway
- 7 'I don't feel safe': Mother who uses wheelchair calls for suitable home
- 8 Brentwood attack: CCTV appeal after man repeatedly kicked in head
- 9 New social housing allocation system for Havering approved
- 10 Plane crash in Upminster sees man taken to hospital as a priority
“It was part of our life skills programme and it got them being creative.”