Repairs to electric cable causes traffic restrictions
A HAVERING road has traffic restrictions while work to an electricity cable takes place.
A HAVERING road has traffic restrictions while work to an electricity cable is carried out.
The high voltage oil filled cable is at A12 Eastern Avenue West, Havering, on the eastbound side.
Urgent works by UK Power Networks (UKPN) started yesterday (Sunday) on the junction of King George Close.
The contractor said it will work around the clock until the cable is repaired.
You may also want to watch:
A spokeswoman for UKPN said some oil has come out of the cable, but it is contained within an excavation hole.
Engineers are flushing 100 litres of oil through the cable as part of the repair process.
- 1 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood
- 2 Havering electoral wards face axe as borough is split into 20 areas
- 3 Town centre app launches to entice shoppers to Romford
- 4 'No one deserves that': Neighbours 'traumatised' by triple stabbing
- 5 Harold Wood fatal stabbing victim named as police arrest three more people
- 6 Serial child sex offender jailed after found with 14,000 indecent images
- 7 'It's appalling' - Frustration over persistent Collier Row water leak
- 8 One teenager dead in Harold Wood triple stabbing
- 9 Arrests made after multiple stabbing in Havering
- 10 Romford man gains 100,000 signatures to scrap £200m Prince Philip yacht
She said: “As part of this work, we have identified damage to a fluid filled cable and are urgently working on permanent repairs to prevent any further leaking of fluid.
“This includes flushing the cable through with 100 litres of oil, and the biodegradable oil has been contained within the excavation. We are currently removing it from the site.
“We apologise to motorists for the disruption and can assure them we are working to complete our repairs as quickly as possible.”
The work is expected to take a fortnight to complete. Once the cable is fixed there will be a short period with no contractors in site to allow the concrete to set.
Transport for London has put traffic restrictions in place.
They include a lane restriction between Mawney Road and King George Close.
The bus stop between Mawney Road and King George close is closed for safety reasons.
Signs are up in the area warning drivers of the work.