Relief for Jimmy

HORNCHURCH manager Jimmy McFarlane admitted he was a relieved man after his side’s comfortable success on Tuesday, writes Lee Power.

HORNCHURCH boss Jimmy McFarlane was a relieved man after his side’s comfortable 4-0 success over Folkestone on Tuesday.

Knocked out of the FA Cup by Brentwood and thrashed 7-1 at Tonbridge, struggling Urchins were under pressure at Bridge Avenue.

But they rebounded well to claim only their second win in nine league and cup ties.

McFarlane said: “I was very relieved. It was quite a nervous first half, to be fair, but we stepped up a gear and were well worthy of the win in the end.

“We didn’t help ourselves on Saturday, but it was one of those freak results. They had seven shots on goal and scored seven. We were more than in the game when it was 2-1.”

Tambeson Eyong and Rickie Hayles returned to the starting line-up and Urchins were awarded a fourth-minute penalty when Eyong was brought down by visiting keeper Jack Delo.

Most Read

But Jonathan Hunt failed for a second time this season from the spot as his kick was well saved by the diving Delo.

Bobby Smith was called into action to save from namesake Bobby, before Urchins broke the deadlock with a fine solo effort from Michael Spencer, who cut in from the left before hammering a low shot home.

Billy Coyne fired into the side netting as Urchins searched for a second and Delo saved well from Martin Tuohy just before the interval.

The second half was only a few minutes old when the home side doubled their advantage as a long ball from Hayles was headed on by Ross Wall, for Tuohy to calmly slot home.

A superb run and shot by Wall was kept out by Delo, who also thwarted a rampaging Eyong before Wall tested the Folkestone keeper once again.

Hunt sent Wall through on goal soon after, but after drawing Delo the striker slipped his shot just wide.

A third goal arrived with 20 minutes left when Hunt’s inch-perfect free-kick was headed in by Hayles and Urchins rounded off a good night’s work when Tuohy’s shot was parried by Delo and Hunt chipped the ball back into the net from long range.

Tuohy went close in injury time, before Folkestone had James Everitt sent off for a challenge on Urchins captain Elliot Styles.

Hornchurch: Smith, Coyne, Collins, Styles, Fletcher, Hayles, Eyong (Enstone 86), Hunt (Morrish 80), Tuohy, Wall (Black 75), Spencer.