Read returns to haunt Romford
Former striker nets brace for new club
Tilbury 4 Romford 1
Alex Read netted twice to help condemn former club Romford to defeat at Tilbury in Ryman Division One North last night.
Read, who enjoyed a productive spell with Boro last season, opened the scoring with a header after only five minutes.
And he struck again in the closing stages to complete a miserable night for Paul Martin’s men at Chadfields.
You may also want to watch:
Kurt Smith cancelled out Read’s opener after a good run and cross by Jamie Dicks, but was forced off with an injury just past the half-hour mark.
Abs Seymour had a long range drive tipped away by James Marrable, before Dockers regained the lead shortly before the break as Emiel Aitken’s shot was adjudged to have crossed the line.
- 1 Reward offered to help find iconic Noak Hill Laurel and Hardy statues
- 2 Pooches delight as new dog-friendly playground opens at Collier Row pub
- 3 Housing in Havering: Major developments set to come to the borough
- 4 Two men stabbed after fight reported outside Romford nightclub
- 5 Police investigating 'unexplained' death in Collier Row
- 6 Plan agreed to tackle persistent flooding in Abbs Cross Lane
- 7 Apology issued after council error sees pupils' fee multiplied by 100
- 8 Gidea Park events planner hopes to host summer community festival
- 9 A look back at floods which have devastated east London since 2016
- 10 New Home Bargains store to open in Romford
Boro tried to get back on terms after the restart, but Tilbury went 3-1 up after 73 minutes as Tom Webb struck.
And Read rubbed salt into their wounds late on to complete the scoring and send Romford to their first midweek defeat in six games this season.
After three defeats in their last four outings, Boro will hope to bounce back when Ware visit Mill Field on Saturday.