Romford resident ‘disgusted’ by dead rodents in rat infested block of flats
PUBLISHED: 17:00 03 September 2018 | UPDATED: 17:30 03 September 2018
A rat infestation in a block of flats has left a Romford resident disgusted after she had to clean up droppings and blood in her home.
Shaunie Hart, 25, from Cornmill House in Spring Gardens, woke up one morning to discover a dead rat in her bathroom.
She told the Recorder: “I went into my flat on Friday afternoon (August 24) and a rat ran right over my feet.
“I had to pay money [£50] to get some poison put down in the flat.
“I spoke to the housing association and they told me that they wouldn’t be able to come out until Monday.
“I told them that I have three children and that’s not acceptable. I can’t let my children go in the bathroom at the moment.”
The mum-of-three explained that the rats are getting into her bathroom through holes in the wall by her toilet.
On Wednesday morning Shaunie discovered a dead rat in her bathroom.
“I woke up to discover blood all over my bathroom floor,” she said.
“There are also lots of dead rats by the bin sheds. The lady next door can hear them scratching through her skirting board.
“There are rat droppings all the way down the hallway. It’s disgusting.
“I’ve used about three bottles of bleach trying to keep the bathroom clean.”
A spokeswoman from Swan Housing Association explained that they are aware of the issue.
“At Swan we take the health and safety of our residents seriously.
“We were already taking action to deal with the rat infestation before Miss Hart contacted us and indeed our pest control contractor was onsite on Saturday, August 25 when Miss Hart spoke to the contractor and explained the issues she was experiencing.
“As a result, our contractor was able to immediately attend Miss Hart’s property to lay some bait on the August 25. We would expect that it was this bait that caused the rat to die in her bathroom.”
Swan housing association said that it would continue to monitor the situation and they will intensify the baiting in the communal areas.
They added: “We have brought forward the appointment for repairs to Miss Hart’s property to block up any areas behind her sink, and our pest control contractor has offered to attend to provide an interim measure until our repairs contractor attends.
“We would like to reassure residents at the property that we are focused on ensuring this situation is resolved as soon as possible.”