Rainham mum gets cash boost in time for Christmas
A Rainham mother had a big smile on her face this week when she found out she had scooped the first prize in the St Francis Hospice Lottery.
Janine Burke from Cherry Tree Lane has become the latest winner of the lottery after entering last month.
Janine said: “I started playing after my dad William was cared for in the hospice during the summer.
“The nurses and doctors were so lovely and when they said they relied on donations to pay for their services my mum and I decided we would sign up for the lottery”.
Janine’s husband Peter jokingly said he was hoping she would spend her winnings on a fishing trip for him and his mates, but with six children ranging from 14 to 27 years old it appears that buying Christmas presents for the family will take priority over the fishing.
You may also want to watch:
The hospice based in Havering-atte-Bower launched its weekly lottery with an aim of raising �1 million for patient care in the first four years.
On Friday December 28, there will be a special draw with three extra prizes; a choice of an iPad3, a 42 inch LG LCD HD TV, or �300 in John Lewis vouchers.
- 1 How did your Havering GP surgery score in NHS patient survey?
- 2 New Home Bargains store to open in Romford
- 3 Romford drama students to feature alongside celebrities in new WW2 film
- 4 10-storey block expansion of 700-home development in Rainham gets go-ahead
- 5 Free swimming for schoolchildren in Havering launched ahead of Olympics
- 6 Secondary schools in Havering rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 7 Havering residents warned of weed which can cause ‘severe blistering’
- 8 Dagenham seal comfortable win over Hornchurch in pre-season
- 9 Four-car crash in Havering-atte-Bower reignites calls for 20mph speed limit
- 10 Heritage: Romford's key role in the English Civil War
All of these prizes will be in addition to the regular weekly first prize of �1,000, the chance of winning the second prize rollover jackpot (currently �5,500) and ten third prizes of �10.
To join the hospice lottery visit www.sfh.org.uk or call 01708 771433. It costs �1 a week to play and you can pay by direct debit.