Rainham house fire ‘caused by burning pies’

Picture: PA

Picture: PA - Credit: sub

Flaming pies led to a kitchen blaze in Rainham last night.

The elderly resident of a house in Stirling Close had put the food in the oven before falling asleep.

She didn’t have a smoke alarm installed, and woke up coughing – because the pies were on fire.

Two fire crews from Wennington spent about an hour and a half on the scene, and one of the things they did was fit a smoke alarm.

To book a free fire safety visit, go to http://www.london-fire.gov.uk/SmokeAlarms.asp.


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter